Stance on ET life?

Discussion on science and technology

Stance on ET life?

Postby Chris Barnes » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I was curious. As a group with many different nationalities, beliefs, upbringings, cultures, etc., I was wondering what your opinions are on extraterrestrial life, whether it's the possibility of life on other planets or the possibility of otherworldly beings visiting Earth.
As a side point, if anybody is interested in discussing it, within in the past two weeks, we have discovered two new planets of interest: TrES-2b, a planet whose surface absorbs all but less than 1% of light, and PSR J1719-1438, a "planet" whose surface appears to be made of a material similar to diamond. PSR J1719-1438 is actually the name of the pulsar, not the "planet", which is actually most likely a low-mass white dwarf. PSR J179-1438 is carbon based, and quite possibly contains oxygen. Tr-ES-2b at this point is too much of a mystery to write off any possibilities. Does anybody think that either planet could hold life - sentient or not?
Chris Barnes
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby chaosscizzors » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:30 pm

i'm willing to bet the the development of life is a fairly common phenomenon throughout the universe. i'm also willing to bet the other forms of sentient life not only know of our existence but have visited our area of space quite a bit.

here's some food for thought.
http://www.daviddarling.info/encycloped ... _life.html
On topic of visitations I think it is unlikely that they physically traveled here, but there is a possibility of some sorts of inter dimensional contact more likely.

about this... does anyone believe channeling to be an authentic form of communication with higher dimensional beings or do you guys just this it's all BS?
User avatar
chaosscizzors
Activist
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby Chris Barnes » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 pm

chaosscizzors wrote:about this... does anyone believe channeling to be an authentic form of communication with higher dimensional beings or do you guys just this it's all BS?


Personally, I've always felt that channeling could be a valid form of communication, but I don't think we've seen it yet.
Chris Barnes
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby 162 105 375 845 281 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 pm

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Interplanetary_Flight_Experiment[/url]

Tardigrades are notably developed with a central nervous system (ganglion but still they have one) and they survived in signifigant numbers free floating and mostly exposed to rigors of space. For ten days. They were then given atmosphere and some water and they can come back to life and reproduce just fine.

Its not inconcievable to think they can do this for a reason ^_^
Why do I screw up my links? Because my posts have been deleted on various news and medical sites and because if I link it here and you click it here, it means you heard it through here but if you put it into your browser, the website gets a hit.
162 105 375 845 281
Veteran
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby afdavis 3 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

I think it is impossible for ET life to not exist. I think it is just stupid how people just assume that carbon is the only life yeilding base. I mean silicon is a valid life base. Also with how Selenium is capable of complex enough bonds to create molecules complex enough to make a form of DNA. We don't have any proof of those forms of life. But I think it is highly probable that they exist as well. So when people are looking for life. I think it is worth looking on planets where carbon based life isn't capable of living as well.
Light a man a fire; He'll be warm for the rest of the day. Teach a man to light a fire; He'll be warm for the rest of his life.
afdavis 3
Seasoned
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 am
Location: Australia

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby Nathan Sanders » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:31 pm

When you consider there are several planets to each of the trillions of stars in our own galaxy, of which there are billions of galaxies in the universe, which could be infinite or have an infinite number of siblings you really get the impression that the chances of life forming somewhere other than earth is nearly 100%.
User avatar
Nathan Sanders
Admin
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby Liam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Nathan Sanders wrote:When you consider there are several planets to each of the trillions of stars in our own galaxy, of which there are billions of galaxies in the universe, which could be infinite or have an infinite number of siblings you really get the impression that the chances of life forming somewhere other than earth is nearly 100%.

Took the words straight out of my mouth. I find the idea that we're alone in the universe quite preposterous considering the sheer scale of it, and the number of possibilities this scale brings. Whether we have ever/will ever make contact with alien life is another matter. I don't think any UFO stories hold water. None have been proven with evidence and UFO claims are always made by the same sort of people in the same, remote areas where there's guaranteed to be few witnesses to disprove the claim. (The same goes for 'ghosts': they never appear in popular, crowded areas. What a coincedence :roll: ) But of course it's possible, nay, probable that we will contact ET life in the future.
User avatar
Liam
Involved
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 am
Location: Southampton, England

Re: Stance on ET life?

Postby afdavis 3 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:51 am

Liam wrote:Took the words straight out of my mouth. I find the idea that we're alone in the universe quite preposterous considering the sheer scale of it, and the number of possibilities this scale brings. Whether we have ever/will ever make contact with alien life is another matter. I don't think any UFO stories hold water. None have been proven with evidence and UFO claims are always made by the same sort of people in the same, remote areas where there's guaranteed to be few witnesses to disprove the claim. (The same goes for 'ghosts': they never appear in popular, crowded areas. What a coincedence :roll: ) But of course it's possible, nay, probable that we will contact ET life in the future.

I can't agree more, I was just talking about the fact that life as we know it can't be the only form either.
Light a man a fire; He'll be warm for the rest of the day. Teach a man to light a fire; He'll be warm for the rest of his life.
afdavis 3
Seasoned
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 am
Location: Australia


Return to Science and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron